Vision and Mission Statement
One of the fundamental approaches for students to gain intercultural experience and prepare themselves for many opportunities in the expanding global community is through study abroad. The Umbra Institute meets this growing demand by providing a unique study abroad program in Perugia, Italy. We bring together U.S. and Italian institutions of higher education with distinguished international professors to offer a diverse curriculum that fosters learning with a focus on community engagement, the cornerstone of our education initiatives. At the Umbra Institute, students not only study a variety of courses in the liberal arts and sciences, but immerse themselves in the Italian culture by learning to speak the language and interacting with Italian and international students through a wide array of cultural immersion initiatives.
In support of this philosophy, our mission focus is to afford every Umbra student a safe and rewarding academic program deeply integrated with co-curricular and experiential learning and community engagement opportunities. As an institution, we strive to be the leader in study abroad in Italy through cultural competency, reflection on personal growth, interaction with the local community, and living and learning abroad.
The Umbra Institute is committed to:
- providing students with a safe, enjoyable, and rewarding international education environment that inspires and encourages participation, exploration, and a desire to embrace new cultures and experiences; promoting a desire in students for life-long learning and encouraging essential skills in intercultural competencies;
- maintaining an international faculty of distinguished professors dedicated to teaching experiential, student-centered courses;
- organizing a wide variety of co-curricular activities and community-based initiatives designed to support our diversified curriculum within an academic program that encourages immersion in the local community;
- pursuing cooperatives and partnerships with local academic institutions and North American colleges and universities to create innovative international education opportunities for students, faculty, and administrators;
- giving back to the community through scholarships, service learning, volunteering, and sponsorship of educational activities; and
- bringing together an Italian, American, and international community for academic and cultural exchanges that foster intellectual exploration;