More than ever, there is a growing need for U.S. college and university students to obtain international experience during their studies. One of the fundamental approaches for students to gain this intercultural experience and prepare them for the many opportunities in the expanding global community is through study abroad. The Umbra Institute meets this growing demand with a unique study abroad program in Italy. We bring together U.S. and Italian institutions of higher education with distinguished international professors to offer a diverse curriculum that fosters learning with a community engagement focus. At the Umbra Institute, students not only study a variety of courses in art and art history, international studies, literature, psychology, creative writing, and more, but also immerse them in Italian culture by learning to speak the language and interacting with Italian and international students.
In support of this philosophy, our mission focus is to afford every Umbra student a safe and rewarding academic program supported by co-curricular experiential learning and community engagement opportunities. As an institution, we strive to be the leader in study abroad in Italy through cultural competency, reflection on personal growth, and living and learning abroad.
The Umbra Institute was founded in Perugia, the regional capital of Umbria. It is a city rich in art, architecture, and historical significance and is also internationally recognized as a city of learning. Perugia is home to two distinguished universities and many art and music academies. The ancient city lies far from the beaten path, surrounded by the rolling hills of Umbria and Tuscany. A short distance away lie Rome, Florence, Siena, Assisi, and Cortona. Perugia is the ideal backdrop for study abroad in Italy.
The Umbra Institute is committed to:
- Providing students with a safe, enjoyable, and rewarding international education environment that inspires and encourages participation, exploration, and a desire to embrace new cultures and experiences;
- Maintaining an international faculty of distinguished professors dedicated to teaching experiential, student-centered courses;
- Offering a diversified curriculum that incorporates the immense educational resources of Italy, particularly the city of Perugia and the regions of Umbria and Tuscany;
- Organizing a wide variety of extra- and co-curricular activities designed to support the academic program that encourages immersion in the local community;
- Bringing together an Italian, American, and international community for academic and cultural exchanges that foster intellectual exploration;
- Pursuing cooperatives and partnerships with local academic institutions and North American colleges and universities to create innovative international education opportunities for students, faculty, and administrators;
- Giving back to the community through scholarships, volunteering, and sponsorship of educational activities;
- Promoting a desire in students for life-long learning with essential skills in intercultural competencies.