This is most recent syllabus. Your final syllabus will be given during your first day of class
This course is designed to provide you with an introduction to the fundamentals of drawing and pastel painting and to encourage the development of a personal style. It is both for beginning art students and for advanced students who may not have previously worked in pastel. The course will focus on space, proportion, line, surface, form and color. Basic techniques will be demonstrated, and the history of pastel painting will be discussed as we look at reproductions. Classes will be held outside on- site in Perugia, as well as inside in the art studios at The Umbra Institute. Assignments are designed to help you see Perugia, as well as to provide a foundation in pastel painting. During the course, you will visit the National Gallery of Umbria in Perugia to discuss major paintings.
This course is designed to give you a foundation in basic techniques using pastel chalks with an emphasis on the development of a personal style.
Text and Materials
The following may be purchased in Perugia:
- 1 box of 48 colors of Prismcolor or NuPastel sticks
- Individual pastels (Schmincke or Rembrandt)
- Pad of pastel paper (at least 11 x 14)
- Individual sheets of pastel paper (Sennelier, Canson, etc.)
- Small to medium size inexpensive sketch book.
- Drawing pencils (HB, 2B, 4B)
- Optional: drawing board for outdoor work
- Several cardboard blending sticks
- 8” x 10” pastel board; three 5” by 7” pastel boards
Mandatory course reader