This is most recent syllabus. Your final syllabus will be given during your first day of class
Note: CHEM 191: Principles of Chemistry I (3 credits) is taken in combination with CHEM 191L: Principles of Chemistry I Lab (1 credit). See syllabus for details.
This course is one of the STEM courses offered each fall for engineering students.
The goal of this course is to provide a basic background and understanding in the theory and principles of chemistry. By the end of the course, students will be able to demonstrate proficiency in the areas of dimensional analysis, matter and its properties, stoichiometry, solution chemistry, bonding theory, the periodic properties of the elements, and other fundamental chemical principles. The class will utilize chemistry labs located at the local Italian university, the Università degli Studi di Perugia. The laboratory component of the course will be evaluated separately from the lecture, and will involve writing a laboratory report using a template provided to students. Lecture proficiency will be evaluated using traditional quizzes, tests, and a comprehensive final exam.
- To provide a strong background in general chemistry with up-to‐date coursework
- To provide students with relevant laboratory experiences designed to deepen their understanding of chemical principles
- To teach students safe and responsible laboratory practices
- To provide students with opportunities, through regular coursework to practice active learning and develop their critical thinking, communication, and technical skills
- To provide students with a more holistic, interdisciplinary view of chemistry, by illustrating connections between chemistry, other science areas, and the world around them.
- Textbook: Martin S. Silverberg and Patricia G. Amateis; Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change, 7th Edition. Published by McGraw-‐Hill Education, New York, NY. Copyright 2015. ISBN 978-0-07-351117-7
- Laboratory Manual: Will be provided
- Scientific Calculator: Students will need a calculator every day in class for practice problems
- Laboratory Materials: Safety glasses and lab coat