This is most recent syllabus. Your final syllabus will be given during your first day of class
In this course, we will explore the process of transforming sensory impressions, individual feelings, personal experiences, and factual information into engaging and effective works of creative fiction and non-fiction. You will read from a cross-section of Italian authors dealing with a wide range of topics and issues and will generate your own writing through a series of exercises designed to help the writer tap into fresh levels of awareness and creative energy. Class time will be devoted to discussing and analyzing assigned readings, and to the exploration of writing strategies and techniques. You will also be involved in a series of ‘literary walks’ aiming at enhancing your ability to gather information from the exploration of natural and urban Italian landscapes.
You will be required to produce compositions of two or three pages, as well as articles to be published online.
Course Objectives/Learning Outcomes
- To acquaint you with the voices and visions of Italian writers of 19th, 20th, and 21st century.
- To explore the main peculiarities of literary genres such as the novel, the short story, the historic nonfiction, the investigative journalism, the newspaper and magazine article.
- To explore the writing process in general and personal strategies for generating effective work.
- To produce fresh and engaging personal essays.
- To review the mechanics of writing and hone editorial and proof-reading skills.
Mandatory course reader