The Experience and Security you are looking for.
Is your student considering Umbra or has already been accepted? Here’s some important information about Umbra that will make you feel more confident they made the right choice for you both. In short, Umbra is a full-service program with more than 15 years experience in study abroad; we are there to assist your student from the time they apply, upon arrival in Italy, and up to the day of departure. Our services and activities include:
Student Support and Safety
- Orientation– During the mandatory academic meeting, a Lieutenant from the Italian State Police gives a memorable presentation on safety and security based on his expertise and experience with American students in Italy.
- Housing Office– Apartment maintenance and assistance is available by the Umbra Housing staff.
- Emergency phone available 24 hours a day
- Doctors and medical care available 24 hours a day. Students can see any staff member to make an appointment or call the emergency phone
- Umbra staff is trained in crisis management. They will communicate any national or international travel warnings as they arise and will inform students of transportation interruptions.
- Travel Workshop– At the beginning of each semester, students are welcome to attend a travel workshop hosted by Umbra staff to learn how to travel in Italy and abroad safely and what to do in case of an emergency such as a lost passport.
- Travel Forms– Students are required to fill out a travel form when leaving Perugia in order for the Umbra Institute to reach them if needed.
- Coaching and Counseling Service: Trudi Crouwers, M. Psychologist
Whether it is health problems, homesickness, depression or anxiety, roommate or eating issues, culture shock, feelings of isolation, or any problems that students might like to seek counseling for, they are welcome to visit the Student Counselor and coach. Studying abroad is a wonderful opportunity to learn and grow as a person with the right kind of support. If students would like guidance to explore personal and social abilities in this new environment, they can make an appointment or walk-in during office hours at no charge.
- Private airport pick-up in Rome and transfer to Perugia
- First night 4-Star hotel stay along with an Italian welcome dinner
- Orientation packets containing essential information about health, safety, course enrollment, academic field trips, and logistics distributed.
- Cell phones or sim cards rental services available
- Private shuttles to student apartments on move-in day
- Practical city walking tour
Integration into Italian culture
- Community Engagement- volunteer, service learning, academic internship, Co-Ops opportunities, and more
- Social nights including pizza and gelato nights to mingle with other Umbra students
- Educational and cultural workshops including Pizza, Coffee, Travel, Presentation and PowerPoint, Aperitivo, and Reentry Workshops
- Italian Language Education: Students take mandatory Italian language courses to learn practical skills to communicate with locals. Italian students are integrated into Italian classrooms as tutors and classmates in elective courses. Additionally, a language exchange called Tandem, is held six times each semester.
- Optional Trip offered to explore beautiful, scenic Italy: Destinations on these staff-led weekend trips have included Capri, Sorrento, and Naples
- Co-curricular Field Trips to world renowned historic sites and famous cities
- Perugia: Home to over 40,000 students and just under 200,000 residents, Perugia is Italy’s “big university town in a small Italian city.” Students enjoy Perugia for an authentic Italian experience.
Academic Program and Resources
- International staff and faculty
- Student resources: Monthly newsletters, Wi-Fi in all students’ apartments, frequent posts on the Umbra Blog and the Student Handbook and Guidebook help keep students up to date during their time abroad. Extensive alumni relations keep students connected and provide career resources.
- State of the Art facilities: The Umbra Institute’s main building features multimedia classrooms, library, computer lab, student lounge with satellite television, and Wi-Fi internet access. In our second building in the historic center, students have access to the art studios.
- Community Engagement is the guiding philosophy behind all academic and social initiatives. Students can integrate into Italian culture through volunteer, service learning, and academic internship opportunities. Partners include local schools, the Lungarotti winery, a local House Museum, a neighborhood association, and more.
- Courses in a variety of fields for academic credit: Students can take courses for credit at their home institution through all our programs offered: the General Studies Program, including the Food Studies Program, or in Direct Enrollment in the Università per Stranieri or Università di Perugia.
For all accepted students Umbra provides a a series of handbooks that are updated every semester. They include the pre-departure handbook, semester handbook, student guide to Perugia and studying in Italy and the Umbra Parents guide. Accepted students are granted access to the web portal and can download the handbooks at this page. Click the icon on the right to download the Parents Guide.