The experience and security you are looking for.
Is your student considering Umbra, or have they already been accepted? Here’s some important information that will make you feel more confident they made the right choice for you both. In short, Umbra is a full-service program with more than 15 years experience in study abroad. We are there to assist your student from the time they apply, upon arrival in Italy, and up to the day of departure. Our services and activities include:
Student Support and Safety
- Orientation: During the mandatory academic meeting, a Lieutenant from the Italian State Police gives a memorable presentation on safety and security based on his expertise and experience with American students in Italy.
- Housing Office: The Umbra housing staff offers apartment maintenance and assistance and is reachable via phone, email, or our Umbra App.
- Emergency phone available 24 hours a day.
- Umbra App Safety Check-In. In case of emergency, all students will receive a Safety Check-In notification via the Umbra App. They will then be prompted to respond with either “I’m Safe” or “Request Assistance,” so that appropriate steps can be taken to ensure their well-being. The Safety Check-In feature also communicates students’ locations to Umbra staff.
- Doctors and medical care available 24 hours a day. Students can see any staff member to make an appointment, or call the emergency phone. Umbra maintains a list of recommended medical personnel, including both general practitioners and specialists.
- Umbra staff is trained in crisis management. They will communicate any national or international travel warnings as they arise and will inform students of transportation interruptions.
- Travel Workshop: At the beginning of each semester, Umbra staff members host a workshop on traveling throughout Italy abroad safely, including what to do in case of emergencies such as a lost passport.
- Travel Forms: Students are required to fill out a travel form when leaving Perugia in order for the Umbra Institute to reach them if needed.
- Coaching and Counseling Service: Trudi Crouwers, M. Psychologist
Whether it is health problems, homesickness, depression or anxiety, roommate or eating issues, culture shock, feelings of isolation, or any problems that students might like to seek counseling for, they are welcome to visit the Student Counselor and coach. Studying abroad is a wonderful opportunity to learn and grow as a person with the right kind of support. If students would like guidance to explore personal and social abilities in this new environment, they can make an appointment or walk-in during office hours at no charge.
- Private airport pick-up in Rome and transfer to Perugia
- First night 4-Star hotel stay along with an Italian welcome dinner
- Orientation packets containing essential information about health, safety, course enrollment, academic field trips, and logistics distributed
- Opportunity to purchase an Italian cell phone
- Private shuttles to student apartments on move-in day
- Practical city walking tour
Integration into Italian culture
- Community engagement opportunities such as volunteering, service learning, academic internships, Co-Ops, and more
- Social events such as pizza and gelato nights and Tandem Language Exchanges provide time to mingle with both Umbra and local Italian university students
- Educational and cultural workshops including Pizza, Coffee, Travel, Career, Aperitivo, and Reentry Workshops
- Italian language education: Students take mandatory Italian language courses where they learn practical communication and listening skills. Italian students from the Università di Perugia are integrated into Italian classrooms as tutors and classmates in elective courses. Additionally, Tandem Language Exchanges are held six times each semester.
- Optional Trip offered to explore beautiful, scenic Italy: Destinations on these staff-led weekend trips have included Capri, Sorrento, Naples, and Lake Garda
- Co-curricular field trips to world-renowned historic sites and famous cities
- Perugia: Home to over 40,000 students and just under 200,000 residents, Perugia is Italy’s “big university town in a small Italian city.” Students love Perugia for the authentic Italian experience it provides.
Academic Program and Resources
- International staff and faculty
- Student resources: Monthly newsletters, Wi-Fi in all students’ apartments, frequent posts on the Umbra Blog, and the Student Handbook and Guidebook help keep students up-to-date during their time abroad. Extensive alumni relations ensure students remain connected with Umbra and one another after returning home.
- State-of-the-art facilities: The Umbra Institute’s main building features multimedia classrooms, a library with over 3,000 holdings, student lounge with satellite television, Wi-Fi internet access, and free printing and copying.
- Community engagement is the guiding philosophy behind all academic and social initiatives. Students can integrate into Italian culture through volunteer, service learning, and academic internship opportunities. Partners include local schools, the Lungarotti winery, a local House Museum, a neighborhood association, and more.
- Courses in a variety of fields for academic credit: Students can take courses for credit at their home institution through through any one of our programs, including the General Studies Program and the Food Studies Program, as well as via Direct Enrollment at the Università per Stranieri or Università di Perugia.
Umbra provides a series of handbooks for all accepted students which are updated every semester. They include the Pre-Departure Student Guide, Umbra Guide to Perugia, and the Parent Guidebook. Accepted students are granted access to the web portal and can download the handbooks at this page. Click the icon on the right to download the Parent Guidebook.