Study Abroad in Italy
Whether you come to study the romantic Italian language, reconnect with your family heritage, or become a gelato connoisseur, Italy offers incredible study abroad opportunities for American college students — and not only for art or Italian majors. Courses in less traditional disciplines at the Umbra Institute, such as business, psychology, creative writing, and sustainability, introduce students to differing worldviews. These course offerings make study abroad in Italy a viable option for variety of academic disciplines at all levels of Italian.
Top Three Reasons to Choose Italy
- So Much to See! Wherever you are in Italy, you are never far from famous historical landmarks and beautiful sights.
- Mix of Old & New Italy has transformed itself over the centuries while maintaining strong traditions and la dolce vita (the good life). There is no better place to study these traditions and transformations than in Italy through courses in Renaissance art, food and cultural studies, modern economics, international marketing, and more.
- Language & Cultural Immersion Italy may be a major world economy and tourist destination, but Italians have unique regional and local cultures, ranging from different cuisines to spoken dialects. With the Italian language as the key, study abroad students can unlock a modern society with close ties to its past.
Where Should YOU Study Abroad in Italy?
The country of Italy may span a small geographic
area, but it has a widely varied landscape: from modern European cities to small medieval villages, from beach towns along the endless coastlines to pristine mountainside villages in the north. Where should you study abroad in Italy?
Do you envision yourself walking down narrow Italian streets and greeting familiar faces each day?
Smaller Italian cities and towns can become your home-away-from-home in just a short time. Perugia offers lots to do but is more manageable than larger international cities, especially for the temporary resident. Many larger cities are only a short train ride away from Perugia and Europe’s low cost airlines also serve the city making travel throughout Europe on the weekends easily within reach.
Will you feel more comfortable spending time abroad with many other Americans or will you seek a destination off the beaten path?
If you want to immerse yourself in Italian culture and mix with the locals, look more closely at the authentic university townof Perugia. Between Italian students and international students enrolled at the local language university, Perugia’s 40,000 students make up more than one-third of its total population. You’ll never have a hard time meeting new friends!
How to Choose the Best Study Abroad Program for You
- Living with other Americans also studying abroad ensures that you won’t have a language barrier at home with your roommates.
- Mixed apartments with international students can offer both language immersion and the freedom to come and go as you please.
- Homestays may offer an incredibly immersive experience but may also allow for less independence on a day-to-day basis.
Remember that your main job while abroad is to study! Will courses be taught in English or Italian? Who will be your classmates? How will credits transfer?
The General Studies program is designed specifically for Americans studying abroad in Italy with courses taught in English and grades given on the American scale. Don’t discount the significance of meeting other Americans who come from other universities across the country!
If you have a background in Italian and want to study with local Italian classmates, look into the Umbra Institute’s Direct Enrollment options at Italian universities. U.S. universities often develop exchange programs with foreign universities for this purpose and will have an established transfer process for credits earned while abroad.
European universities take a different approach to student services outside the classroom. What kind of support is available for international students coming from the U.S. and elsewhere?
Immersion experiences can change your life, but you don’t want to drown in a sea of unfamiliar people and customs. The Umbra Institute provides all the support you need, including counseling and mental health services.
The Umbra Institute in Perugia offers the best of both worlds by offering classes taught in English and Italian and by hosting both American and Italian students. Living in an Italian university city offers endless access to cultural immersion at all levels of Italian proficiency, with opportunities for students who have never studied Italian to those at an advanced level.
Click here to read more about Student Life in Perugia.