The course is part of the Direct Enrollment program at the University of Perugia.
The course will outline a framework of qualitative research methods, giving attention to the fieldwork research. The methodological process will be outlined, considering the main steps of ethnographic investigation: choosing a problem, writing a project, entering the fieldwork, participating/observing, interviewing, making qualitative data analysis, writing an ethnographic text. Students will be asked to participate in seminars and exercises concerning an ethnographic research on objects and everyday life.
Language of Instruction
The course provides the basic knowledge on qualitative research, and promotes the acquisition of epistemological and methodological skills in the area of ethnography. The students will acquire the following main skills:
– knowledge of the qualitative methods;
– knowledge of the relationship between anthropology, sociology and ethnographic research;
– knowledge of the tools and techniques for the interpretation of the socio-cultural processes.
The main skills that allow to apply the acquired knowledge are:
– ability to define the research problem and to adopt effective and innovative methodological choices;
– ability in data analysis and reporting research results.
The course is organized as follows:
– lecturers on all subjects of the course;
– laboratory activities and discussion groups concerning an ethnographic research on objects and everyday life.
Assessment & Grading
Oral examination consisting in a discussion-interview on the topics covered during the lectures and the issues present in recommended texts. Attending students will integrate the oral examination with a discussion of a written paper, in which the candidate will present and interpret the ethnographic data produced during the course. The acquired skill in ethnographic writing, essential for training in qualitative research methodology, is evaluated as exemption from part of the overall teaching load.
Pavanello M., Fare antropologia. Metodi per la ricerca etnografica, Zanichelli, Bologna, 2010.
Dei F. – Meloni P., Antropologia della cultura materiale, Carocci, Roma, 2015.
Testi in lingua inglese in alternativa:
Hammersley M. – Atkinson P., Etnography. Principles in practices, Routledge, London – New York, 1995.
Appadurai A., The social life of things. Commodities in cultural perspectives, Cambridge University press, Cambridge, 1986.