This is most recent syllabus. Your final syllabus will be given during your first day of class
Note: This course was formerly ARPH 210.
This course will introduce you to the fundamentals of photography. No previous photographic experience is required. The focus will be to capture and record your experience in Italy through weekly photo walks around Perugia, an ancient Umbrian hilltop town, using your camera to create a portfolio of these images. We will explore the cultural phenomenon of photography and the role it plays in society. Students will learn basic concepts, processes, and techniques, including camera usage, exposure controls, manipulating and printing digital photographic images, and print presentation. At the end of the semester, student photographs will be displayed at the Umbra Art Show.
- Develop an understanding of photographic language
- Acquire a more critical eye in evaluating and reading the photographic image
- Gain insight into the place, use, creation and presentation of photographic images in the media and society
- Course reader available at local copy shop
- Digital Camera: point and shoot, single lens reflex and iPhone, and GoPro cameras welcome